Skip to main content
You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Female teen faces murder charge in death of 13-year-old last month

Female teen faces murder charge in death of 13-year-old last month

  • 0

A teenage girl was charged Monday with second-degree murder in connection with the death of a 13-year-old boy last month, authorities said. She was the driver of a car being chased by Forsyth County sheriff's deputies.

The girl is accused of causing the death of Reuben Charles Pledger IV on Aug. 18 when the car he was riding in ran off Patterson Avenue and struck a utility pole, Winston-Salem police said.

Police officers, emergency medical technicians and city firefighters treated Reuben, but he died at the scene. Officers arrested the girl Friday, and she was taken to a juvenile detention center, police said.

"Due to the fact she is juvenile, no further information is available," police said in a statement.

Under state law, the girl's court documents are not public records because she is a juvenile.

The driver of the vehicle, however, was identified in a police accident report as Kmya Amari Renee Wynn. Her date of birth wasn't included in the report.

Deputies were working with police in the city limits when they noticed the car being driven erratically without a license plate properly displayed on southbound Patterson Avenue, the Forsyth County Sheriff's Office said. A deputy tried to stop the car beginning in the 2200 block of Patterson Avenue, but the driver refused to stop, the sheriff's office said.

The car was traveling at 80 mph and, within seconds, it went out of control and struck the pole, the sheriff's office said. 

Tamara Kallay, Reuben's mother, said she was relieved to hear that the driver finally had been charged.

It seemed to her to be taking a while — longer than Reuben's family would have liked, but Kallay said she understood that prosecutors needed to make sure everything had been done correctly.

"I had stayed up so many sleepless nights trying to figure out what was happening," Kallay said Monday. "I called (police) every day to find out. I couldn't let it rest. I feel like I would be letting Reuben down if I didn't."

Despite the charges, Kallay says she still has more questions than answers right now. She wonders how initial reports from the sheriff's office indicated that the car had no tag on it and notes that the language has been changed to not having the tag "properly displayed."

"There are still so many things that don't make sense," Kallay said.



Journal reporter Scott Sexton contributed to this story.


Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


Breaking News