Skip to main content
You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit
Former Disney World, YMCA employee indicted on charges he sexually abused eight Winston-Salem boys in the 1990s and early 2000s.
0 Comments

Former Disney World, YMCA employee indicted on charges he sexually abused eight Winston-Salem boys in the 1990s and early 2000s.

  • 0
{{featured_button_text}}
Michael Todd Pegram WEB

Pegram

A former Walt Disney World employee was indicted Monday on charges that he sexually abused eight Winston-Salem boys in the 1990s and early 2000s.

Michael Todd Pegram, 46, of Bridge Creek Boulevard in Ocoee, Fla., was indicted by a Forsyth County grand jury on 21 counts of taking indecent liberties with a child, five counts of first-degree sex offense, one count of attempted first-degree sex offense and one count of statutory sex offense.

The indictments allege that the offenses took place at different times between Jan. 1, 1991, through Dec. 31, 2001. The indictments say that the boys were either under 16 or at least 12, depending on the charge.

The indictments do not say where the alleged sexual abuse happened or how Pegram knew the boys. Kernersville Police detectives, who investigated the case, did not immediately return a message from the Winston-Salem Journal seeking more information.

Carrie Collins, a spokeswoman with the YMCA of Northwest North Carolina, said Tuesday that Pegram worked at the Kernersville Family YMCA in a variety of roles from March 1988 to March 2002.

A spokesperson with the YMCA of Northwest North Carolina told WGHP/Fox 8 last year, when Pegram was first arrested, that YMCA officials were not aware of any incidents that occurred at the YMCA or that involved YMCA participants.

Collins said Tuesday that YMCA officials could not comment on the indictments but added that the YMCA will fully cooperate with the authorities as requested.

The Osceola County Sheriff’s Office arrested Pegram on Nov. 8, 2017, in front of one of Walt Disney World’s All-Star Resorts, according to a Nov. 29, 2017, article in the Orlando Sentinel. The paper reported that a Disney spokeswoman said the “cast member has been placed on unpaid administrative leave, pending the results of the criminal charges.” That spokeswoman would not tell the Orlando Sentinel what Pegram’s position was or how long he had worked at Disney.

Walt Disney World Communications said in an email Tuesday that Pegram does not work for Disney. Company officials did not respond immediately to questions about how long Pegram worked at Disney, what position he had and whether Pegram resigned or was fired.

Pegram is in the Forsyth County Jail with bond set at $2 million. A trial date has not yet been set.

mhewlett@wsjournal.com 336-727-7326 @mhewlettWSJ

0 Comments

Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

Breaking News