Skip to main content
You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Ask SAM: Getting a Real ID after a name change
top story

Ask SAM: Getting a Real ID after a name change

  • 0

Q: If you changed your name when you got married, do you need your marriage certificate to get a Real ID?


Answer: Yes, you would need to bring your marriage license.

And if you are divorced and changed your name back to your maiden name, you have to include paperwork showing that as well, according to the N.C. Department of Motor Vehicles.

The Real ID came about after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. Congress approved The Real ID Act in 2005. Its purpose is to set minimum standards for driver licenses and IDs that are issued by states to prevent fraud. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security drew up the requirements for the Real ID.

The beginning date for using a real ID to get in to U.S. government buildings, military installations, and to board an airplane has been pushed back again. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security announced in April that it was pushing the date of full enforcement back 19 months.

"On May 3, 2023, the Transportation Security Administration will begin enforcing Real ID requirements at airport security checkpoints. Federal agencies will begin requiring Real ID-compliant licenses and IDs for admission to a variety of federal facilities," NCDOT said.

Having a Real ID is voluntary; however, you will have to have additional documentation, other than your state-issued driver license or ID card to enter those places.

Support Local Journalism

Your subscription makes our reporting possible.

To get a Real ID, you will need to bring to the DMV office:

*One document to prove your age and identity. That can include a certified birth certificate issued by a government agency or a valid U.S. passport.

*One document reflecting your current legal name to prove your Social Security number. That can include a Social Security card, 1099 or W-2 tax forms, a pay stub with SSN on it or proof applicant is ineligible for Social Security number.

*Two documents as proof of North Carolina residency. Those documents include, any document issued by the state of North Carolina, a county, city, or the federal government, preprinted bank statement or financial statement, preprinted business letterhead, pay stub with full Social Security number, receipt for personal or real estate property taxes paid to a North Carolina county, city, or town.

You can also use a utility or cable bill, housing lease or contract, mortgage statement, property or income-tax statement, N.C. vehicle registration card or title, N.C. voter card, N.C. vehicle-insurance policy, N.C. school records or a letter from a homeless shelter.

If your name has changed and does not match the name on your certified birth certificate, passport or other identifying information, you must provide a proof of name change, such as:

*A certified marriage certificate or marriage license

*A divorce decree

*A certified document from the courts or register of deeds

*An original international marriage license or a certified copy of an international marriage license (with a raised seal or ink stamp with initials of individual certifying the document) accompanied by a name change affidavit.



Write: Ask SAM, 418 N. Marshall St., Winston-Salem, NC 27101


Get local news delivered to your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


Breaking News