Skip to main content
You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
An 8-year-old girl is shot in the head on Indiana Avenue in Winston-Salem
breaking top story

An 8-year-old girl is shot in the head on Indiana Avenue in Winston-Salem

  • 0

Officers with the Winston-Salem Police Department investigate after a juvenile was shot in the 4700 block of Indiana Avenue on Friday.

An 8-year-old girl was shot in the head Friday in the 4700 block of Indiana Avenue in Winston-Salem, authorities said.

The girl was being treated for her injury Friday night at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, where she was in critical condition, Winston-Salem police said.

Police didn't identify the victim.

The girl was taken to Wake Forest Baptist shortly after 1:30 p.m. Friday, police said. Doctors then discovered that the child had been shot and notified police at 4:08 p.m.

Support Local Journalism

Your subscription makes our reporting possible.

The Winston-Salem Police Department's violent firearm investigations team, gun-crime reduction unit and detectives are investigating the incident, police said.

A police patrol car was parked Friday night along the sidewalk in front of a house in the 4700 block of Indiana Avenue. A police forensic services’ vehicle was parked in the home’s driveway as several officers stood in the front yard.

Police described the incident as an assault with a deadly weapon, inflicting serious injury.

No further details were immediately available Friday night.

Anyone with information about this shooting can call Winston-Salem police at 336-773-7700 or Crime Stoppers at 336-727-2800. Crime Stoppers of Winston-Salem/Forsyth County is on Facebook.




Sign up for our Crime & Courts newsletter

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Wellpath LLC, Forsyth County Jail's former medical provider, is disputing John Neville's cause of death, as spelled out in an autopsy report. John Neville died Dec. 4, 2019, after detention officers pinned him in a prone position in a jail cell after he was found on Dec. 2, 2019 suffering from seizure-like symptoms. His family has filed a federal wrongful-death lawsuit and Wellpath LLC's attorneys filed an answer to it on Monday. Five former detention officers and one of Wellpath's nurses are facing involuntary manslaughter charges in connection to Neville's death. 

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


Breaking News

News Alert