Skip to main content
You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Body of teen from Forsyth was found on side of the road. Winston-Salem man is charged.

Body of teen from Forsyth was found on side of the road. Winston-Salem man is charged.

  • 0

A Winston-Salem man has been charged with murder in the death of a 17-year-old boy whose body was found two weeks ago on the side of Payne Road near King.

Jaylen Lamont Lyles, 22, was arrested Tuesday by Forsyth County sheriff’s deputies, according to a news release from the Stokes County Sheriff’s Office.

The Stokes County Communications Center received an emergency call just after 8 a.m. on Nov. 5 about a body lying on the side of Payne Road. First-responders arrived to find that the 17-year-old boy was dead. Investigators did not find any identification on the body, but they were able to identify the boy after consulting with the Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office and the N.C. State Bureau of Investigation.

The Stokes County Sheriff’s Office did not release the name of the 17-year-old boy, citing the ongoing investigation, and did not provide any information about the cause of death. The victim was from Forsyth County, authorities have said.

An arrest warrant was not immediately available Wednesday.

The sheriff’s office said that an autopsy was done on Nov. 8 and the cause of death was ruled a homicide.

According to the news release, detectives with the Stokes County Sheriff’s Office followed up on leads over the next several days after the body was found and identified Lyles as a suspect.

“I am deeply saddened that we are talking about a juvenile losing his life just when you begin to live life,” Sheriff Joey Lemons said in a statement. “The loss of a life is always tragic, but more especially of such a young individual.”

Last year, Lyles was a passenger in a car that crashed on Patterson Avenue and killed 13-year-old Reuben Charlie Pledger IV. Lyles was arrested on outstanding warrants for unrelated charges that included breaking and entering and obtaining property by false pretenses. He pleaded guilty in July to obtaining property by false pretenses (the breaking and entering charge was voluntarily dismissed) and received 12 months of unsupervised probation.

Kmya Amara-Renee Wynn, 17, was the driver and pleaded guilty in June to felony death by motor vehicle and other charges connected to Pledger’s death.

Lyles is in the Forsyth County Jail with no bond allowed on the murder charge.




Sign up for our Crime & Courts newsletter

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Forsyth County District Attorney Jim O'Neill announced that 30,000 people will have their criminal records expunged. The people were convicted at a time when state law treated anyone 16 and 17 as adults. Because of that, their convictions were public record. Juvenile records are sealed. O'Neill said he wanted to even the playing field so that people convicted before the law changed would have the same benefit as 16 and 17-year-olds convicted now. 

Former Forsyth County GOP chair Nathan Tabor is facing new charges. This time, he is accused of conspiring with another man to steal and then sell a $6,000 golf cart. Over the past few months, Tabor, who chaired the Forsyth County Republican Party from 2009 to 2012 and has run for political office, has been charged with criminal offenses in three different counties, including Forsyth. He is accused of stealing items, such as catalytic converters in Brunswick County and cyberstalking family members in Catawba County, for which he was acquitted, and cyberstalking his former pastor. 

A Winston-Salem man has been indicted for second-degree murder in the death of his younger brother. Search warrants said home surveillance video showed the man carrying a sword up the stairs and later leaving the house with an assault rifle. The man told police that the rifle accidentally discharged during a fight with his brother, who he said was on Xanax. But police said in search warrants that the man's statements contradicted the physical evidence. 

Kalvin Michael Smith has filed a new appeal, seeking to overturn his conviction in the 1995 assault of Jill Marker, an assistant manager at the now-closed Silk Plant Forest store. His motion, filed Tuesday, cites newly-discovered evidence that his attorneys say prove his innocence, including a new witness who told police he saw a white man matching the description of the late Kenneth Lamoureux, enter the store just after 8:30 p.m. Dec. 9, 1995, with a Maglite flashlight. Smith's attorneys say police detectives ignored this and withheld other potentially favorable evidence to ensure Smith's conviction. 

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


Breaking News

News Alert